In line with the e-Governance Programme, the Mauritius Prison Service (MPS) is implementing the e-Prison System in collaboration with the Government of India. An agreement between the Mauritius Prison Service(MPS) and National Informatics Centre Services INC (NICSI), India, was signed on 4th October 2012 at the Prime Minister's Office for the development of the e-Prison Software.
The e-Prison System is a web-based system and has some 33 Modules.
The Contract Agreement signed by MPS and NICSI made provisions for training on the Application that shall be conducted by NICSI for MPS Trainers at NICSI, New Delhi, India.
In light of the above, a four-member Delegation proceeded to India for 2 weeks to undergo the above-mentioned training. The four-member Delegation consisted of:
- Mr Ravin Lugun, Assistant Commissioner of Prisons
- Mrs Salimah Musaphur, Systems/Database Administrator
- Mr Vidyasagur Pertaub, Prisons Officer/Senior Prisons Officer
- Mr Someswarsing Mohes, Prisons Officer/Senior Prisons Officer
The e-Prison Software was presented by the NIC/NICSI IT Experts. It consists of the following modules:
- Prisoner Management System
- Visitor Management System
- Hospital Management System
- Prison Management System
In addition, the e-Prison Software has been enhanced with the following features:
- Various alerts in the area of major activities
- Biometric Database for Staff and Official Visitors has been included
- Generic method adopted for integration of new reports
- Attachment of scanned documents with detainee record and extendable to administration related records
- Provision has been made to interconnect with other Ministries e-Systems
- Graphical display(Dashboard) of the information required by prison administration.
The system has been designed in such a way thay it may be further enhanced with new components in the future. To make the e-Prison System operational, new IT infrastructure such as a new Computer LAN and a modern Server Room have been implemented at Beau Bassin Prison Headquarters and at the Eastern High Security Prison. Same shall be extended to other Penal Institutions so as to enhance the day to day activities of the Mauritius Prison Service.